Appointments are held at Brotton Surgery.
Women aged between 25 and 65 years are strongly advised to have a smear regularly. A practice nurse will carry out the test.
Arranged as appropriate via the health visitors.
The clinic is held on a Tuesday afternoon and patients are invited by telephone or letter.
A diabetic clinic is held here at Brotton Surgery.
All aspects of family planning advice including sterilisation for both male and female are available.
This practice provides full antenatal and postnatal care and selective intrapartum (deliveries) care.
The midwife holds clinics every Tuesday and Wednesday between 1pm and 5pm. Booking appointments take over an hour whereas routine follow up appointments take 20 minutes.
Minor surgeries are performed at Brotton Surgery when the appropriate GP and nurse are available.
The Aims of the Nurse Practitioner Service are:
- To provide a “same day” appointment for patients seeking urgent non life threatening treatment.
- More choice for patient’s thus increasing patient satisfaction.
- Ensures patients receive appropriate access to treatment.
- Patients ringing the surgery for an on the day appointment will be routinely offered an appointment with the Nurse Practitioner.
- The receptionist may ask the nature of the illness to ensure the patients sees the appropriate healthcare professional.
- The Nurse Practitioner is able to prescribe. We will be monitoring demand for these appointments.
Our Practice Nurses are available by appointment for the following:
- Minor injuries and dressings
- Contraceptive advice and pill checks
- Cervical smears
- Travel advice including vaccinations. Please book appointments 6 to 8 weeks before your planned holiday!
- Chronic conditions. Our nurses offer monitoring checks and advice for a variety of chronic conditions including diabetes, asthma, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and heart disease.
Our Healthcare Assistants provide the following:
- Blood tests, Blood Pressure monitoring, Electrocardiograms (ECGs), dressings and basic health checks as well as providing support for the practice nurses and doctors as required.
- Administer vaccinations and B12 injections.
Our practice nurses offer a comprehensive advice and vaccination service for travelling abroad. See Travel Health and Immunisations for further information.
Some travel vaccinations are not available on the NHS but can be provided. Charges are available from reception.
We are a Veteran Friendly Accredited GP Practice. This means we have a dedicated Clinician who has a specialist knowledge of service related health conditions and veteran specific health services. This is important in helping Veterans to get the best care and treatment.
We offer a full immunisation and vaccination service to both children and adults.
All doctors and our practice nurses will be happy to give advice and our nurses are fully conversant with all childhood immunisations.
We are happy to offer advice for your holiday vaccination.
Also, see Immunisations for further information.